It's always a treat when we're able to get lengthy radio interviews with some of today's hottest talent in dance music. In an interview with New York City based radio station, Hot97, DJs, producers and newly formed tandem Diplo and Skrillex (Jack U) explains the growing sub-culture that is EDM, and how the music genre is taking over the millennial generation and beyond. Even the infamous New York City venue that we frequent, Webster Hall, gets a mention by Wes as being a venue that diversifies its talent and musical genres much more than it used to five years ago.
For those of you who can't sit through all 40 minutes of the video right now, here are some key takeaways and fun facts from the HOT 97 interview.
· Diplo went to 4 different High Schools and had VW Bus.
· Skrillex dropped out of High School at age 16 to tour.
· Nick Catchadubs, despite Fools Gold Records being one of Mad Decent’s main competitors, was one of Mad Decent’s originators and drew their first logo.
· Skrillex got his drum influence from rock music and UK Drum N Bass.
· Despite the rumors, Diplo claims that Katy Perry and him are just friends.
· Lamborghini refused the denim Lambo, previously agreed upon, from Katy Perry for the VMA’s as soon as they heard Riff Raff would be involved.
· Diplo has a record with Nas coming soon.
· Skrillex has a record with Missy Elliot and also with ASAP Ferg coming soon.